Opioid addiction is so prevalent that at some point your company will feel it’s affects. It’s affecting communities throughout the United States and it’s now also affecting the workplace. Drug testing and other measures are a way to protect your employees and your company from a major problem.
The Opiod Crisis
A report by the National Safety Council releases it’s findings and it’s a bleak picture. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) officially has declared it is an epidemic. Opioids and heroin killed more than 42,000 people in 2016, which was more than any year on record.
- More than 70 percent of U.S. employers surveyed have been affected by employees’ prescription drug use.
- Nearly 40 percent of employers have experienced workers being absent because of prescription drug use.
- Nearly 40 percent state that employees have used prescription pain relievers at work.
- Nearly 30 percent of employers report that some workers have experienced decreased job performance because of prescription drug use at work.
Educating owners, managers, supervisors, and workers is the best way to change opioid abuse in the workplace. Start by knowing the signs of opioid abuse…
- Confused or dazed behavior
- Slurred speech
- Apparent and excessive mood swings
- Poor coordination
- Increase or decrease in sleep.
Offer Employee Assistance Programs
Companies who are giving employee assistance programs to all their employees are showing good results. The best employee assistance programs offer the following…
- Counseling services for employees and their immediate family
- Help provided in a confidential, safe, and private environment
- A guarantee of no loss of job or promotion opportunities
- Consider covering the costs of the initial screening
Opioid Policies / Drug Testing
Establish easy to understand drug and alcohol abuse policies. Drug testing is a great idea to perform on all new hires, after accidents, and randomly. Make sure to find a drug testing partner you can trust!
Background Bureau has over 6000 SAMSHA certified service centers in our network and can arrange collection and testing near you, in any city in the USA. We service Labcorp, Midwest, Kroll, Medtox and are a preferred Quest site. Even if you are already sending applicants or employees to one of these facilities, our volume purchasing will still save you money.
Contact us (800-854-3990) for more information about drug testing!
Background Bureau provides comprehensive background checks, drug tests, and tenant screenings to clients who want to reduce the amount of time, money and paperwork it takes to protect themselves from potential employees, tenants, or partners who have had troubled histories.
>> Learn More